Friday, March 30, 2012

Ordinarily Wonderful

I really don't write a lot anymore. However today I feel compelled to do so. It wasn't because it was a grand day, party, or life milestone. It was actually, well, kinda ordinary.

I picked up a pizza on my way home from work. Then, our foursome gathered in the living room to watch the "Smurfs" which was free on demand. Not five minutes into the movie, we heard Mister Softee outside, so Aubs and I ran to get some. All the kids in the neighborhood were excited since we hadn't seen him all winter long.

Aubreigh couldn't wait to get a twist with sprinkles and we bought her brother the same. It was rather chilly so we ran back in the house to eat it. Of course Michael had a ball eating it. It was his first official Mr. Softee all to himself.

Of course I took a few pictures and then I could see that Michael was getting tired. I put a blanket and pillow and laid on the floor with him. It is this that I hope to never forget.

He was sticky and smelled of a combination of chocolate ice cream and papa johns pineapple pizza. He also had a random strawberry stuck in his clothes from the fruit he had after dinner.

Of course I took a wet paper towel to him a few times, but he was the sticky hands, dried hard streak of ice cream in his hair , a smidge of pizza sauce on the chin boy that I loved. I loved it even more when he would give me the big belly laughs as I tickled him, or as he pointed to different parts of the movie when Gargamel came on. And we snuggled.....for over a half hour. He was growing into a big boy now. But he was still my baby. And this baby boy was usually non stop all over the place!

Whenever I am away at work or out and about and I think of him, the first thing that comes to mind is scooping him up, tickling his belly, squeezing him to "reeces pieces" and smelling whatever meal had made its way into his hair, hands and face that day.

As he was getting tired, I asked if he wanted to go "night night" which he did and he started up the steps just as I suggested. I kissed him good night and tucked him in with his blankie.

Darren tucked Aubreigh into bed, but I had to go and give her a little snuggle as well. She was in a pleasant mood, despite the fact that she wasn't thrilled that it was her bedtime already.

She found some toy catalog that had come in the mail and was reading it while I tiredly lay beside her drifting off. I gave her a big squeeze and said "I love you"....and then in a squeaky, low whisper she said "I love you too mommy". My heart melted. I didn't realize I would get a response.

We laid there cuddling for a while. I was rather tired, and figured that I would just shut my eyes a bit. And that was when the compulsion began. This day was so very ordinary.....yet so very wonderful. I just had to write about it.

I hope to never forget cuddling that sticky sweet boy or hearing that wonderful mousey whisper from my little angel. And these are the very reasons why I will never take being a mother for granted.


1 comment:

Christi said...

I loved reading that.