Saturday, December 13, 2008

Can't judge a book by its cover...

Today is the anniversary of our FET (frozen embryo transfer). It was such a special day. I remember calling to say how many embryo's we wanted to defrost and having a stream of tears roll down my face as I told the lab technician to "take good care of my babies". The tech replied that they were sitting there listening to Christmas music and in good hands.

I remember feeling extremely calm and peaceful going into the office that day. I even let a resident watch the procedure. It wasn't like you could really see much of anything going on. You basically viewed a screen and saw a little poof on the screen. I remember thinking that the doctor looked like a coal miner with this bright light on his head. However, he wasn't searching for coal, and he certainly wasn't looking in a mine... lol!

I remember the procedure going extremely smoothly. I had to have a full bladder in order to have the procedure so I drank a lot of tea that morning....because I was getting a really nasty cold. After you have the transfer, you are taken to a hospital bed that you must lay on for an hour. Then you are finally allowed to use the restroom. Everything went surprisingly easily, and the full bladder was not as bad as I had thought it would be. When my time was up, I ran to the bathroom. And it was "that bathroom". There were playboy magazines lying around and a DVD player and TV with headphones.....it was where the guys go to do their business...

As I was reminiscing yesterday, one thought popped onto my head. We had the most screwed up looking sperm. I believe I even called them "retarded" at one time. Fortunately, the appearance on the outside doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the chromosomes on the inside. The chromosomes could be perfectly fine. However, the shorter tails or double heads make it harder for these guys to make the journey and penetrate the egg. With the first round of IVF, we actually had a procedure called ICSI....introcytoplasmic sperm injection. Basically they just inject the egg with a sperm, bypassing any motility or penetration problems.

Then I thought of Aubreigh. She is the most beautiful looking baby. It just goes to show, that you can't judge a book by its cover...........

No comments: