Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cheap People....

Yes, I am just going to throw this one right out there. I suppose that I should probably put a little disclaimer out there as well..."I don't write this post to be politically correct or to not to step on any one's toes...these are just real feelings that I have as a 7.5 mo. pregnant lady." Oh heck, who am I kidding...I would feel the same way regardless if I was pregnant.

So anyway, I think writing this down will help me get it off my chest and sleep better at night. You know those stupid things that pop in your mind and wake you up at 3am and keep you up for over an hour....

My shower was a week and a half ago. And it was awesome. 99% of the people went above and beyond for what they did and the gifts they gave me. But.......(and by no means trying to be an ungrateful princess)...there are 2 that stand out. I mean blatantly stand out.

I remember thinking that I hoped my facial expression didn't show what I was actually thinking..."Like there must be a gift card or another bag with this present, right?"

And it is not that I am talking about an elderly aunt who just has no clue, or a friend of a relative that you hardly knew, or someone struggling financially. It is close friends or family...that you would expect better from. At one instance, I don't even know if the person spent $10 on their gift, which would not irk me, had we not given them at least 3-4x that on each single occasion and there have been several. I must confess, however, that it really didn't surprise me, as I quickly recalled comments from others about her. I think what makes the situation rather hilarious is that she tries to "put the dog on" all the time, driving an expensive SUV or telling tales of fabulous dinners. My hunch is, they are in debt up to their eyeballs, but that is not my fault, and I don't deserve a shoddy gift because of it. And memo to myself..."CHEAP ASS GIFTS FOR THE ? FAMILY FROM NOW ON"

The other instance is less about the actual dollar amount, but more about the lack or interest in our pregnancy and child. I am not saying that I need all pomp and circumstance surrounding our pregnancy, just a little interest. Especially when they are family members and we have shown great interest in their family. I know that a lot of it comes down to jealousy...and I try to just ignore it. It is just hard when you never realized just how jealous they were. It makes you feel bad, but oh well...life goes on!

So I know I am not the only one who has felt like this, and special occasions such as showers and parties tend to show the true colors of many. I think it boils down to the intentions behind the gifts, not the actual dollar amounts. And these stupid intentions can just gnaw at you, and sometimes...it is just best to get them out...even if it is on a blog that no one even knows about!

1 comment:

becoming-mom said...

I hear you, though in my case my only complaint is that I wish people had bought a few more items off the registry, but still I'm SO grateful for what we did get.

Actually, I had sort of the opposite problem where one of my close friends spent a FORTUNE on this really fancy layette stuff that is something a baby would wear to a christening or something.. only our baby will not be christened or have any other occasion to wear them to. I wish she had bought or swing or Pack n play instead! ;)

Ariana
(MrsJeffsWife2b)