Friday, July 25, 2008

My 3 day vacation in labor and delivery...

Well, I thought i was just going to a normal check up on Tuesday. I mentioned to the doc that I thought I lost part of my mucous plug a week ago, and was concerned that I felt a little pressure.
He decided to check me out. I was 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced. He asked if I was having contractions, but I didn't think I was.

He decided to send me to labor and delivery for monitoring just in case, and said that I should stop working for now. He also joked that I wouldn't be cooking anymore and that Darren should buy me some taco bell on the way home.

Well, we never made it home on Tuesday night, and I never got dinner. The contractions were 2-5 minutes apart and weren't subsiding. I ended up needing magnesium sulfate (which was horrible and made me vomit 6 times). They had to up the dose 3 times. The OB came in at 3:30 am to see if things were progressing (she had thought I went from 75% effaced to 90%). At this point I had a "bloody show". Fortunately, however, I wasn't progressing. The magnesium started working and my contractions subsided.

The next afternoon I was just a drugged up gal. I was still on the magnesium, but they were tapering it. My speech was slurred and my vision was blurred. The neonatologist came by, and explained that the biggest obstacle would be feeding. Breathing could also be an issue, but we were able to get the steroid shots, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I also saw the 2 OBs, and they joked with me in my drugged up state. Finally at 6:30 pm, the magnesium was stopped. It was heaven.

Darren got me a blue (as he joked he hoped for a boy) ice pop and it tasted like heaven. Then at about 8 pm they gave me a meatloaf dinner. For hospital food, it tasted fabulous! The nurse was going to help me try to shower as well, but I was too unstable for it. Then I was switched to a regular room on the floor. The nurses were all so nice and brought me graham crackers and peanut butter as a snack.

The next morning I met with another OB and he said that I would not be released until Friday morning. He also told me that if the contractions started again....more Mag! I was having some cramping and had this terrible feeling that the contractions would be back shortly. The nurse put me back on a monitor, and fortunately no contractions. I was just having an irritable uterus. The baby also looked great.

Later that evening, a different OB came by and said that things looked fine and that I could go home. That was great. I couldn't wait to sleep in my own bed.

So now I feel like a ticking time bomb. I am just taking things easy and hoping to last another week or so (though, I feel like this baby is impatient and will be making his/her appearance shortly). I am concerned that I may not feel the labor or contractions in the beginning and have no clue what is going on. I am sure that I will feel them at the end, however!

I am just so excited to be a mommy! I can't believe it can be right around the corner! And as horrible as the whole experience was....I would do it in a heartbeat if it meant that my little peanut would benefit!

1 comment:

Christi said...

I'm so glad that they were able to stop the contractions and that you are home resting...